In honor of the Spanish frigate, the “Casino of Numacia” was founded on February 1st, 1867. The place can be found in the city center right by the sea. In 1882, the casino’s name was changed to “Casino Cultural Society of Torrevieja”, and in year 1896, the place officially opened in accordance with a project of the architect Aznar.
The splendid building fit in the context of the so-called “Fin de Siècle” – that included wonderful and different architectural styles, like the “neo” and Art Nouveau and other styles that used materials like glass and iron. In the casino, we can admire a modern dance hall or the wonderful “Moorish hall” following the neo-nazarí style.
The main salon has an amazing coffered ceiling made of colorful polychromatic plaster, with coffers, plant motifs and traditional and typical modern dragon busts. In the middle, there is a marvelous lamp hanging which has the same style. The walls with panels were decorated by Inocencio Medina Vera.
At this time, the modern door was made by the local carvers, Tusso and Balaguer. In this door, you can find three columns with three different parts: the lower part that was decorated with coffers and has a carved amphora in the middle and two corbels on the sides. The middle part decorated with a glass window and two caryatides on both sides that hold a semicircular gable with a carved amphora. The upper part consists of a small carved border in the shape of roses.
In 1901, the Arabic salon was constructed by Andalusian experts using a neo-nazarí style. For this purpose, there were used light materials like gypsum and pieces of gypsum. The salon is surrounded by eight multilayered arches made of pieces of gypsum, that are decorated with a baroque strapwork and ornamental borders and roses also made of gypsum. The plinth is made of glass ceramic, and at the lower part there are geometrical motifs and in the upper part, Kufic ornaments. The salon is equipped with Arabic style furniture. The tables and stools are decorated with strapwork and flower ornaments.
The awning of the terrace extends over the entire façade and was constructed following the neo-nazarí style in 1915. It consists of five arches, which are decorated with flower ornaments and supported by six columns made of cast iron with double capital (cubic and cylindrical).
In 1936, the casino was expropriated and was used as barracks for the army of the Spanish civil war. Afterwards, the buildings were in a terrible condition, but in the 50’s they were restored. Hence, the panels of Medina Vera were changed following an eclectic style with a certain similarity to Goya. The old panels were hung on the game salon, but were lost with the course of time because they were not considered of much value. The furniture of the main salon was restored and two mirrors were hung. After this change, the casino remains in the same state as we know it today.